Thursday, May 26, 2011

Here is 80 sen

I have two follow up postings which I intend to complete, for the two has gotten your response both for and against, and by far the most by my standard. I will surely do that post in the days to come.

But in the meantime, here is 80 sen from big brother. why 80 sen? According to BFM radio (quoting a source) the cost of subsidy from the Government is 80 sen for Ron95 petrol.

Noel (the female presenter on BFM) was her usual cynical self, and questioned the 'about turn' by the government to not press ahead with the price review, whereas her co-presenter (I think its Khoo) played the good cop by saying that the price increase had to be stayed because it might contribute to inflation.

As well informed and being level headed Malaysians, shouldn't we consider the external elements that have caused the price of oil to balloon to the current levels?

It is one thing at being critical of the government, and another for objectively doing so.

Let us ask ourselves if we are ready to bite the bullet. Shall we?

How many of us actually tell ourselves that we should cut down on unnecessary travel?

And having complained of 'low quality' local made cars, are ever so quick to go get one so that life can be more convenient? Isn't that an attribute to living the life in Malaysia?

Here I readily admit that my car is a necessary tool for me, as my work involves a fair bit of traveling with no specific schedule. As such, I am prepared to pay for fuel so long as my income allows me to do so.

I recall not too long ago, when my wife had to take the train to work and back, because we were a single car family. My sister still takes the train when she travels to KL daily for work and back. But apart from that, how many of us rely on the trains?

I was at the bus stand yesterday along Puchong, and found that the passengers were mainly foreigners (or appear to be so) apart from the few chinese faces (which could also easily mean they are chinese illegals), so it is safe to say that the public transportation is in need of serious upgrade.

But wait. It has undergone tremendous improvement. Are you aware of that? No? Can't blame you.

I was oblivious to it too.

The point is this, petrol consumption in Europe has fallen in tandem with the increase, meaning Europeans accept the fact that price of oil can no longer be relied to be at the levels that they are comfortable with.

Yet, back home, we are ever so ready to 'hantam' the government, and when its time for us to accept the real price of petrol, we go on about how subsidies MUST be kept at the current levels.

I for one think that the subsidies must go, and by increases like 10 sen, for a 50 liter tank, that is RM5.00 per fill up, multiply by 8 fill ups at the station for average users, is RM40.00.

RM40.00 may be devastating to a single income family, but which single income family have a 50 liter tank to worry about?

If public transportation that has undergone changes and improving by the day, why are we still reluctant to use it?

Here is my challenge. Come join me on a trip via rail and road. Lets see for yourself what kind of transformation has taken place, shall we?

I have with me materials predating Rapid KL, and I am sure if you see for yourself, you too will agree that change has happened to the public transport system and the only thing left to change is our mindset.

But if you still want 80 sen from big brither each time you go to the petrol station, what more can I say?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tony,

I take the public transport system daily since March last year.

i can tell you it is not so hunky dory.

Anonymous said...

I live in Bukit Beruntung, because that's the only house I could afford 12 years ago. Both wifey and I are working in KL and my working hours are not fixed. Hence, we need two cars to go to work. I have tried taking trains to and from work and brother, you should check out the service between 5 and 8pm. It is packed, worse than a sardine can. Most of the times, the trains don't stop because they are packed.
On top of that, some smart alec in KTM decided that should be separate coaches for man and woman. If the women's coach is not packed, men are not allowed to join. But if the coaches are full, the women are allowed to jump into the man's coaches. Most of us are already tired. we don't have time to molest anyone.
A station in Serendah has become a ghost station. But a more strategic location near Perodua factory is not viable politically.
A toll-free highway from Serendah to Templar's Park has been scrapped after land is cleared as the government had no money. Who got the money from the timber? no one knows. Suddenly, a new highway is being built from Templar's Park to Kuala Selangor. Who live in Kuala Selangor, please stand up! No one? Then why the need for a new highway there? Easy for us to buy fresh fish? something fishy here. In the meantime, as other parts of the Klang Valley are rejoicing as tolls are abolished or reduced, we still have to pay RM11.20 X 2 to and from work daily. I am a government supporter but I don't want to waste my time lining up like fools to elect someone who is not helping me. There are more than 2,000 voters who will not leave their home on election day to vote.

not happy

Anonymous said...

Your attempt at justification can only have meaning if you make price & cost comparisons between countries, as nothing stands absolute.

I do not see that here. At best this superfluous exercise is your own poor weighted gut feel and serves no useful purpose to no one in particular, except maybe your flawed ego or issit in line with yr specific agenda of blogging

Anonymous said...

Even an uneducated can see how the increase of the oil price are increasing the price of necessity. Yeah right....