Director of Military Intelligence of Malaysia, Lt Jen Dato Mohd Salleh Hj Ismail gave a press conference at the TM Multimedia College today. The PC was aimed in general at the Malaysian public in view of the recent political developments especially so that the Military Inteligencia was named in a Statutory Declaration recently. It did not help their case with Dato' Seri Anwar Ibrahim claiming that his life was in danger and cited 'Intelligence' sources for his claim.
Since the Bersih rally, rumours of the Military's involvement in one way or another has been cited in a few blogs. Right after the press conference, during a short 10 minute question and answer session, Lt Jen Dato Salleh also refuted claims that one armoured division was deployed to Kuala Lumpur in support of the mammoth gathering last November. The General admitted that though movement of armoured divisions were common in exercises, it has not been a practice that division commanders take orders directly from His Majesty The King or any Royal head of State.
He further stated that military movement are the responsibility of Division Commanders.
Below is the 8 point statement that the General released.
1. The week’s events are being seen in the light of political developments in the country and for many almost a repeat of 1998 that was a shocking breach in Malaysian political culture and something many never wish to revisit. Because of this, we are dealing with a similar set of issues: firstly, the disbelief and anger of the majority of Malaysians; secondly, executive interference with the judiciary, the police and Malaysia Armed Forces (MAF) specifically, the Military Intelligence; and thirdly, the personalities of the key players which are Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak. Throughout the weekends, Malaysians were exposed to accusations by various parties which claim wrongdoing by others and this was compounded by various counter accusations to discredit and tarnish the reputation and image of opposing party.
2. This chain of events started with the allegations made by a well known blogger, Raja Petra Kamaruddin (PRK) through his statutory declaration on purported facts related to the murder of the Mongolian translator, Altantuya Shaariibuu in October 2006. Apart from naming the three individuals which he claimed that were present at the scene during the murder of the Mongolian translator in the document, he also accused the Prime Minister, Dato’ Seri Abdullah Badawi had received a military intelligence report about the murder. This later followed by the police report which made by Parti Keadilan Rakyat de facto leader, Dato’ Seri Anwar Ibrahim (DSAI) assistant, which accused DSAI of sodomising him on 26 June 2008.
3. DSAI seek ‘safe haven’ at the Turkish Embassy when he was informed that his life is in danger and he claims received information from foreign military intelligence (neighbouring countries) and therefore he seek ‘help’ at the Turkish Embassy. DSAI ‘refuge’ at the Turkish Embassy has attracted much attention from the international community and this has complicated matters further. A day after he left the Turkish Embassy, DSAI made a police report alleging the tampering of evidence in the case where he was punched by the former Chief of Police. Yesterday, DSAI again made headlines when he presented a statutory declaration by a former Special Branch police officer in which he stated the DPM had relationship with Altantuya.
4. These developments point to a new trend in which Malaysian politics is embracing. It feeds on the rakyat’s sympathy by creating various stories/accusations which have not been confirmed. In addition, these developments have caused dilemmas in our society and can lead to a chaotic situation which can affect the nation’s security. This is not the Malaysian culture and the Malaysian way of life.
5. Malaysians are confused and tired of all these accusations and allegations which are based on fabrication of facts and can affect the strength of Malaysia’s national power. There are reports of foreign military intelligence’s involvement in plotting the downfall of the country’s leadership and this is not true. As the Director of Military Intelligence (DMI), I can assure all Malaysians that this allegation is not true. Based on our relationships and networkings, I am confident of the country’s security and now is an opportune time to invest in Malaysia. Furthermore, there is no military intelligence report on the murder case of Altantuya. This is strictly a matter for the police department and its enforcement agencies to look into.
6. As the DMI, I believe that facts which are confusing Malaysians will cause more anger and will lead to more street demonstrations. This will also lead to chaos in the country. Malaysians have to believe in the leadership and discard all their fears as the present government is strong and able to proceed with the democratic process. It is of paramount importance that all Malaysians know that our military intelligence is always monitoring the security of the nation as some parties, intentionally or unintentionally wants to see the country in tatters.
7. Irresponsible parties are using confusing facts for their own personal interests or agendas. These facts are hard to believe thus, the rakyat will lose confidence. Many incidents or reports involved the role of the military and military intelligence. Here, I have to stress that these reports which are made by unknown parties are immoral. These irresponsible groups take pleasure in seeing the Malaysian society in ruins and encourage the culture of accusations among each other. This will lead to the detriment of the country’s economy and stop the progress of the nation. In the end, all Malaysian will be at the loosing side.8. As the DMI I feel I have to stress that the military intelligence report which was mentioned in RPK’s statutory statement is not true. Since I took over my position as DMI, it has not come to my attention that this report existed. As for DSAI’s statement that he alleged foreign military intelligence sources informed him about his safety is also not true.